Username: Password:

Forum Index > Off Topic > Diablo III

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Hps > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (522) > 23/10/10 22:00
http://www.gamespot.com/events/blizzcon2010/video.html?sid=6282846&tag=topslot;watchlink;2
shaeltal > Frequenter (324) > 28/12/10 11:38
Hps wrote:
http://www.gamespot.com/events/blizzcon2010/video.html?sid=6282846&tag=topslot;watchlink;2

ownage. this game will be great! cant wait Very Happy
could've watched that movie for hours...
Kristian > Frequenter (354) > 31/12/10 00:26
Oh God, mah balls.

Can't wait.

[Click for signature]
by Quixoz
Tristanian > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (528) > 01/08/11 18:23
So after several years what we basically get is :

- No skill points. 6 total active skills and 3 passive ones that you gain at various levels. "Customization" will most likely include runes that will presumably drop randomly. Basically everyone of the same class will act more or less the same and since you will be able to buy gear, well you get the point.
- No ladder system, no ranking system and (maybe) no specialized PvP items. Reason to do PvP ? I don't see any.
- Nearly everything that drops on the ground, including gold, can be traded with other players directly or through the auction house system, for ingame gold or real money, presumably through an e-balance system. Aside from certain quest items, there will be very few (if any) items that will be “soulbound” to your character and therefore untradable.
- Persistent Internet connection required (not that much of an issue, depending on circumstances).

In all seriousness, freaking pathetic. I expected much, much more Evil or Very Mad
If you make yourself more than just a man...if you devote yourself to an ideal, then you become something else entirely...
blem > WANNABE TROLL (1020) > 02/08/11 00:09
Tristanian wrote:
- No skill points. 6 total active skills and 3 passive ones that you gain at various levels.

diablofans.com wrote:

6 active skills instead of 7. Traits revamped into "passive skills," only 3 active at a time.
Each class has ~20 skills and ~15 passives.

There was something about a pvp match making system, so they might be adding a pvp ladder or something at some point?
darchon > GET A LIFE (2092) > 09/08/11 09:50
What exactly do you mean by more Trist?

Personally I think the game will be great.

I would prefer a contained economy, but I agree with Blizzards reasoning. Not saying they aren't doing it just to increase revenue, but they also make a fair point about the third party trading that was fairly rampant in d2.

I do not see any valid gameplay reasons why they are limiting the game to online only. The line about breaking immersion or what ever feels like a bad justification for making people use bnet. I don't mind the requirement, but they might as well have been more honest about why they want to have it there.

I don't know enough about the skill system to comment on that. Looking at what runes can do, and how many there will be for every skill I do not think lack of diverse builds will be a problem. There will obviously always be some builds that are better than others. Where d2 had hammerdins, javazons and a various other minmaxed superbuilds, d3 surely will too. This didn't prevent people from rolling singer-babas and all those other crazy variants in d2, and I doubt that will change for d3.

Do you see the lack of Bop items as a problem? I sure do not, unless they are looking to turn it into a raiding game like WoW. As long as they keep drop rates low and either reset the server or keep raising the level of loot, the best stuff will be reserved for the most hard core players.

All in all, very excited and hoping that I can get into the beta! Very Happy
Tristanian > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (528) > 09/08/11 17:35
Actually I had posted something profound about it :p on a greek forum, so I'll do my best to translate it, since my point wasn't the ugliness of the system in itself but rather its implications. Here goes :

"It goes without saying that item transactions were taking place, through shady websites, in D2 and that's a fairly common practice for almost any game where resources/commodities are worth something to someone (in real money), eg in MMO's. This isn't something new or special. However, the fact that there will always be people willing to sell stuff anyway, does not imply that we should "legalize" the practice. This isn't even a valid argument in my eyes, just oversimplification. Using the same logic, there will always be people willing to steal, kill, scam and generally commit morally or criminally punishable acts. Do we let them get away with it as long as we can benefit from it, in one way or another ? Another oversimplification. See what I did there ?

Gold farmers are not going to go away anytime soon, especially when they have just been "legitimized". On the contrary, they will be able to move freely among the community, disguised as players, like before, doing their thing and none would be the wiser. At best, they will be forced to share a portion of their profits with Blizzard. The problem will persist however and I'm not talking about Diablo 3 here, which we know for a fact that is going to be a non-competitive game. Diablo 3 is the guinea pig, a test for this particular micro-transaction model. The real issue, is how far Blizzard is willing to go and any company that potentially chooses to follow in their footsteps. Today we have Diablo 3, with a RMAH. Tomorrow it may be Titan's turn or even Swtor, an FPS and God knows what else. I remember that there used to be a time, at the beginning of WoW, where things such as paid faction change, paid race change, server transfers, paid name change etc, were, for all intends and purposes, inconceivable. Fast forward a few years later and all these "features" have become reality. With a minimal amount of complaints, if I may say so.

The thing that I personally take issue with, is the "pay to win", "money = power" attitude that is being indirectly promoted. What happens when similar features are implemented in a competitive game (PvP, competitive PvE etc) ? Blizzard will most likely present the same arguments meaning that they care about the players, they want to contain/regulate the procedure in order to avoid scams etc. Still, "Chinese" farmers and their bots will most likely continue to operate (perhaps at reduced capacity or efficiency but still) and in a scenario where you are actually unfortunate enough to have your account hacked, you will lose more than just time. You will lose real money. I'm not sure if you've read on how the RMAH is actually going to function in D3. You will be charged a small fee just to post the item up for auction, so people can see it. Furthermore, you will be charged an additional fee if the item gets sold and last but not least, if you choose to convert your e-balance to real money via let's say paypal, you will again be charged a fee. That's 3 separate charges right there. Just imagine what will happen if you keep getting undercut (and you most likely will). I simply cannot fathom how people claiming that they can actually make money out of this, are going to pull it off. Certainly not by competing with the organized farmers. Maybe I'm just stupid or not so good with math, who knows :p

The fact that money equals power is something that most (if not all) of us are already aware of, from our everyday lives. Do we really need the same logic applied to the games we play (purely for entertainment purposes) ? Even if you ultimately choose not to participate, a built in system throws the economic incentive directly in your face. For me, this diminishes the enjoyment of the game, especially in a competitive environment. Fortunately that is not the case. Not yet anyway. Where do we draw the line though ? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take the moral high ground here or be another conspiracy theorist. Far from it. For me the gradual implementation of this proposed micro transaction model in most games, is just a reality waiting to happen. We'll hopefully still be here months or years from now, to discuss it, yet again."
If you make yourself more than just a man...if you devote yourself to an ideal, then you become something else entirely...
Konflict > TROLL (1504) > 09/08/11 18:50
I miss you, Trist.
darchon > GET A LIFE (2092) > 09/08/11 22:26
There is a clear distinction between legalizing trading and legalizing murder. Paying for goods and services is one of the pillars our entire society is built on, while murder is not.

Being able to gain in game benefits (power) with out of game resources (money) should ideally not be possible. However, the problem in my opinion is not the way Blizzard chooses to handle it, but the fact that it exists at all. RMT (real money trading) is something that has come to stay, and as gamers I think we need to accept it. RMT is not necessarily a sign that it will be a bad game, there are several games that work quite well with much more intrusive RMT elements than D3 will have.
Lucyinthesky > "I TRIED MY BEST" (79) > 10/08/11 07:55
i will be given a few beta keys, were talking 1-5 here, when ive taken care of friends and family, i might have one free for those if you who wants.
darchon > GET A LIFE (2092) > 10/08/11 08:04
If you come to Norway and are in the market for some blowjobs, call me and we can talk.

Last edited by darchon on 10/08/11 12:15; edited 1 time in total
blem > WANNABE TROLL (1020) > 10/08/11 11:30
I agree with many of the points about RMAH Tristanian, but based on what happened in D2 i think its the right way to go with a Blizzard controlled RMAH.
That being said I'm never gonna use it, the thing I liked in D2 was trying to get perfect gear for my char and buying gear for RM would just ruin the process.

If you happen to have an extra key feel free to send it my way Lucyinthesky Wink
Tristanian > LOOT FTW LIKES ME (528) > 10/08/11 19:59
darchon wrote:
There is a clear distinction between legalizing trading and legalizing murder. Paying for goods and services is one of the pillars our entire society is built on, while murder is not.

Oh, definitely, but that's not the point I was trying to make. I was merely suggesting that just because something will happen anyway (for example, item/money trading), doesn't necessarily imply that it is a good thing (or a bad thing for that matter) and as such, you cannot simply base a decision purely on that fact. Case in question however, I believe it is more of a financial decision rather than catering to the player account safety. It makes sense, Blizzy is a company and it's out for profit. I understand their decision, just don't agree with it, due to its potential consequences in the long run. They are opening a huge can of worms but I guess that at the moment, I'm simply annoyed at the fact that something that was until recently against the rules, is now perfectly ok, as long as the people running the show, so to speak, get their cut.

Quote:
Being able to gain in game benefits (power) with out of game resources (money) should ideally not be possible. However, the problem in my opinion is not the way Blizzard chooses to handle it, but the fact that it exists at all. RMT (real money trading) is something that has come to stay, and as gamers I think we need to accept it. RMT is not necessarily a sign that it will be a bad game, there are several games that work quite well with much more intrusive RMT elements than D3 will have.

I'm of the same opinion. RMT is here to stay and best case scenario, micro transactions will only involve vanity items in a competitive environment or at least we can only hope. As for games that have already introduced intrusive RMT elements, well nothing comes to mind, except maybe Eve, though the way I understand it, the system in place was implemented in a much better way. Could be wrong.
Quixoz > WANNABE TROLL (1227) > 10/08/11 22:25
Eve online has a very robust RMT system. Works fine! I don't see what's wrong with it.
Aleo > LESS THAN 250 TO GO! (884) > 15/09/11 16:42
If you haven't seen it yet, skill calculators up for D3.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian.
Tyllo > "I TRIED MY BEST" (182) > 16/09/11 02:43
Lucyinthesky wrote:
i will be given a few beta keys, were talking 1-5 here, when ive taken care of friends and family, i might have one free for those if you who wants.

<- Obvious choice.
ㅈㅈ
blem > WANNABE TROLL (1020) > 21/09/11 12:54
I did not get a key in first round Sad
Arnuiem > Peon (17) > 21/09/11 13:49
IMHO the impact of the RMAH is gonna be neglect able for my gameplay experience.

FU blizz for not sending a key my way ^^
Kristian > Frequenter (354) > 21/09/11 14:21
Was the keys given at last years BlizzCon Diablo 3 beta keys?

[Click for signature]
by Quixoz
Lucyinthesky > "I TRIED MY BEST" (79) > 21/09/11 15:00
i have yet to get any keys, i will write here as soon it happens.

Im going to try to bribe my way into dota2 beta with some of them.

Page 2 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Jump to: